The Misuse Of Drugs In Higher Institutions
Common problems on college campuses which are noticed are binge drinking, prescription and recreational drug abuse that is popular.
The rate of addiction in college students is higher than most other groups.
Young individuals [ages 18 to 24] are already at an increased risk of addiction.
Adjusting to college life can be very stressful and overwhelming to some. The temptation to consume alcohol is strong primarily because students overwhelmingly believe that alcohol makes it easier for them to socialise. They don't immediately graduate to drug use or binge drinking but their new found habits predispose them to a greater risk of substance abuse.
Students who are attending college full time have a two times greater risk of alcohol or drug addiction than their counterparts who don't go to college.
Understanding Drug Use Among College Students
There are many reasons that cause people to start using these drugs such as
- Many students are unable to manage various demands, like studying, working part-time, completing their internship program, and socializing, and start using drugs to escape stress.
- Academic Demands
- Adderall is one of many stimulants that pupils take in order to stay awake and turn in their homework on time.
- Most of these substances tend to be found with no proper prescription.
- Students tend to experiment whilst in college, exploring new aspects of both their personal and professional lives.
- It is almost usual among people at this age to explore and experiment with new things and experiences in life.
- Peer Pressure
- Students who are part of a peer group in which many people use recreational drugs are more susceptible to use drugs.
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 246 1509
Diet Tablets And Eating Issues At College
College students are exposed to higher vulnerability to develop eating disorders.
National Institute of Mental Health pegged that 1 in 4 college students suffers eating disorders. Over the last two decades men and women who are affected by an eating disorder has shown a tremendous growth, and this number is alarmingly constantly on the rise. In an effort to loose some pounds, they resort to the use of weight loss pills. Some of these drugs have severe effects such as death. Learn about diet pill abuse and eating disorders among college students.
College Drug Choices
College pupils try any type of drug depending on the latest tendencies.
College pupils take some drugs are taken more than others. Below are few of them on college campuses
- Alcohol is the most commonly abused substance in college campuses.
- It is not considered illicit especially if you are of age hence regulating or identifying abuse of this substance is often overlooked.
- Many students, especially those who are stressed out about finishing study assignments on time, reach out for stimulants such as Adderall, which are also known as "study drugs".
- In many states, Marijuana is now legal and that's why its use among college students is rising.
- You shouldn't be surprised to see that it is being abused more than liquor.
- Ecstasy which became popular during the 90s is presently making a resurgence during the past few years in its pure form and is known as MDMA or Molly.
- Students in their 20s tend to overuse the "party drug" as their generation is in the target age range for the most common abusers of this substance.
- MDMA is widely abused at raves and gigs.
Alcohol Effects On College Students
Alcohol gained its notoriety as the most popular and legally accessible substance among college students. Consuming alcohol is synonymous with the experience in college and alcohol is always present during house parties, sporting events and student get-togethers.
The use of alcohol is widespread during college and is often condoned, and this has caused many college students to begin consuming more alcohol at a frequency that is higher than their peers who are no longer present at the college.
It is estimated 80 percent of college students use alcohol.
The Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism have reported that nearly half of the population in colleges indulge in excessive drinking. Unmoderated alcohol drinking is not only detrimental to the drinker but also to other people in terms of troubles and violence it causes. Know about alcohol abuse among college students and the dangerous effects of alcohol on the health.
Substance Abuse In Fraternities And Sororities
There are many different fraternities in colleges, each of which encourages its members to have friendly relations with other members and to seek excellence in academia and other spheres, but Greek system, with all its good points, has more cases of alcohol and drug abuse than others.
Members within the fraternity and the sorority are more than likely than their non-Greek peers to abuse prescription medications, including Adderall.
Seeking Assistance For Drug And Alcohol Abuse
Don't go through harsh times alone if you are a college pupil having troubles with heavy drinking, prescription drug overuse, or an unhealthy eating behaviour. Our addiction specialists can get you in touch with caring and experienced counsellors to help you overcome this problem. Do not delay your contact with us on 0800 246 1509 to understand how you can take your life back from substance abuse or addiction.